"Wood-Destroying Organism (WDO) Inspection" course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online Wood-Destroying Organism (WDO) Inspection course.
This course teaches the inspector how to inspect for indications of infestation of wood-destroying organisms that may exist in a building using a visual-only examination.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- describe and sketch the biological aspects of common wood-destroying organisms;
- identify and describe termites, fungi, and common wood-destroying insects;
- communicate treatment and management options for wood-destroying insects;
- methods to prevent termite damage;
- inspect crawlspaces; basements; and foundation structures by following an inspection checklist and WDO form;
- list the critical laws concerning wood-destroying insects; and
- describe the value of the inspection in relation to the real estate transaction.
And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this WDO Inspection course is free to all InterNACHI members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and
licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct
business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the
Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
The Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection course includes:
- 12 CE credit hours;
- 64,700 words;
- 5 minutes of video;
- 131 photos and diagrams;
- online writing essay assignment;
- inspection report writing assignment;
- required additional reading;
- 85 quiz questions over 10 quizzes;
- 100-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
The course covers the following categories:
- Subterranean Termite Treatment
- Pesticides for Termite Control
- Bait, Foam and Fumes
- Treatment of Crawlspaces
- Treatment of Basements
- Other Treatments for Termites
- Application Equipment
- Contamination of Drinking Water
- Sample Calibration Problems
- Other Wood-Destroying Insects
- Management Options for WDI
- Preventing Termite Damage
- Wood-Inhabiting Fungi
- Understanding Foundation Structure
- Inspecting Structures
- Inspection Checklist
- Basic Construction Terminology
- Laws Concerning WDI
- Training and Licensing
- The Real Estate Transaction
- Completing NPMA-33 Form
- References and Study Material
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 100-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion
which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as 12 InterNACHI Continuing Education
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.