Commercial Property Inspection Prerequisite Course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online Commercial Inspection Prerequisite course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use core definitions and terminology;
- Identify common conflicts of interest;
- Describe the objective of performing a commercial property inspection;
- Conduct property research;
- Perform a walk-through survey of the property;
- Inspect the following systems:
- decks and balconies
- basement, foundation, and crawlspace
- heating and ventilation
- attic, ventilation, and insulation
- doors, windows, and interior
- life safety
- cooking area.
- write an inspection report;
- use a contract;
- describe ancillary inspections and special reports.
- 32,516 words;
- student book;
- inspection and writing assignment;
- research and writing assignment;
- 111 quiz questions in 20 quizzes;
- 20-question final exam;
- instant grading; and
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion.
This course has been approved by:
Commercial inspection contracts, forms, addenda and other documents are reviewed. Understanding the Standards of Practice and required agreements and documents is the inspector's first and most important step toward offering commercial inspection services. The questions within the 20 quizzes highlight the important points and concepts in each section, while the instant-grading system assures the student that s/he is on the right track. And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Commercial Property Inspection Prerequisite
Course # 4506
Estimated hours for the average student
Reading online course instructional material at 140 words per minute
Taking the exam
Conducting a directed and independent inspection study performed according to the Standards of Practice, including the development of an inspection report
Submitting an inspection and writing assignment
Submitting a research and writing assignment
Studying and reviewing instructional material in preparation for taking quizzes and exam
Reading the downloaded student course book including taking the quizzes with the book
Reading, research, and studying related to completing the research and writing assignment
Studying and preparing for inspection processes according to a Standards
of Practice, including capturing and storing digital images with a
camera or device, making observations, evaluating conditions, deducing,
formulating opinions, communicating observations in written form,
attaining competency in performing inspections and using an inspection
checklist or software and other inspection tools in producing a report.
38.0 hours / 0.9 SCH
- Course Objectives
- Core Definitions
- Common Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Royalty-Free Use
- Substantial Compliance
- Disclaimer of Liability
What is an Inspection?
- Objective of an Inspection
- Who May Perform the Inspection?
- Varying Levels of Due Diligence
- Not an Architectural or Engineering Service
- Not a Warranty, Guarantee or Insurance
- Objective of Research
- Document Procurement
- Documents to Be Reviewed and Included
- Pre-Inspection Questionnaires
- Previously Generated Reports
- Objective of the Walk-Through Survey
- Access Responsibility
- Inspector Safety
- Wood Decks and Balconies
- Basement, Foundation and Crawlspace
- Heating and Ventilation
- Attic Ventilation and Insulation
- Doors, Windows and Interior
- Life Safety
- Cooking Area
Reporting, Contracts and Ethics:
- The Inspection Report
- Limitations, Exceptions and Exclusions
- Commercial Inspection Agreement
- Request for Documents
- Professional Services Contract
Ancillary Inspections and Special Reports:
- Thermal Imaging Addendum
- Accessibility Report
- Green Features Report
- Commercial Fire Doors
- Fireplaces and Chimneys
- Radon-Mitigation Systems
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 20-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print his/her own Certificate of Completion
, which is auto-generated in the student's name.
The student-member's information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as eight InterNACHI Continuing Education
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.
For TEXAS Students:
Provider License #:10026
Course Approval #:31301