Home Inspector Licensing
To become a licensed home inspector, you must submit the following to the Washington State Department of Licensing:
- an application;
- proof of completion of a minimum of 120 hours of board-approved classroom instruction;
- proof of up to 40 hours of completed field training supervised by a state-licensed home inspector;
- evidence of successful completion of the written exam through the state; and
- the required fee.
For details on licensing, visit the State of Washington website
WA Department of Licensing has approved InterNACHI's Fundamentals of Home Inspection Class:
Take our state-approved pre-licensing class at one of our home inspection schools in Washington to become a licensed home inspector in Washington. Be sure to ask your instructor for a free six-month membership to InterNACHI
(for non-members only).
Insurance for Inspectors
Although Washington doesn’t have requirements regarding insurance for home inspectors, many local real estate boards and home inspector business franchises require their affiliate members to meet certain coverage standards. InterNACHI members are eligible for discounts and enhanced coverage. Visit nachi.org/insurance
for information on how to sign up.
Live Training at the InterNACHI School
The InterNACHI School offers world-class, accredited inspection training by the best instructors in the industry at our facility in Boulder, Colorado.
Take a class, enjoy free refreshments, test-drive inspection tools, attend an inspector chapter meeting, and inspect the House of Horrors –- an entire house with a thousand defects built inside the InterNACHI School.
Continuing Education (online & free for members)
- How to Inspect Lawn Irrigation Systems Course. Course #443. 2 hours. Expiration 10/26/2019.
- How to Perform Tree Inspections Course. Course #397. 7 hours. Expiration 08/31/2018.
- How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course. Course #394. 12 hours. Expiration 08/18/2018.
- Inspecting Foundation Walls and Piers Course. Course #133. 3 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- Safe Practices for the Home Inspector Course. Course #128. 4 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- Structural Issues for Home Inspectors Course. Course #381. 4 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Perform Deck Inspections Course. Course #392. 3 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Inspect HVAC Systems Course. Course #389. 12 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course. Course #386. 8 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes Course. Course #387. 12 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Perform Roof Inspections Course. Course #383. 4 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- Log Home Inspection Course. Course #388. 8 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Perform Exterior Inspections Courses. Course #391. 12 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course. Course #384. 4 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.
- Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course. Course #385. 8 hours. Expiration 07/08/2017.
- Customer Service and Communication for Inspectors. Course #446. 4 hours. Expiration 2/3/2018.
- How to Perform Energy Audits. Course #445. 24 hours. Expiration 12/20/2019.
- Residential Structural Design for Home Inspectors (#329, 19 hours, Structures, Exteriors, Interiors). Expiration 5/20/2019.
- Green Building Inspection Course (#323, 8 hours, Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Exteriors, Interiors, Environmental Conditions or Hazardous Materials). Expiration 5/20/2019.
- Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course (#337, 28 hours, Structures, Ventilation, Interiors, Environmental Conditions, Hazardous Materials). Expiration 5/20/2019.
- Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Course (#336, 12 hours, Structures, Consumer Protection, Environmental Conditions or Hazardous Materials)
- Calculating Envelope Energy Loss Course (#330, 2 hours, Structures, Ventilation, Environmental Conditions or Hazardous Materials)
- Indoor Air Quality Course (#332, 2 hours, Structures, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Interiors)
- Inspecting the Means of Egress Course (#327, 4 hours, Structures, Interiors, Consumer Protection, Environmental Conditions or Hazardous Materials)
- 25 Standards Every Home Inspector Should Know (#324, 5 hours, Electrical, Current Trends and Issues, Exteriors, Interiors)
- How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, & Chimneys (#325, 4 hours, Structures, Heating, Report, Environment, Hazardous)
- How to Inspect Pools & Spas (#410, 8 CE)
- The House as a System (#409, 2 CE)
- Radon Measurement Service Provider (#145, 16 CE, Environmental and Hazardous Materials)
- How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells (#404, 12 hours, Structures)
- Advanced Residential Roof Inspection Course. (#435, 22 hours, Structures and Exteriors)
All live classes currently being offered are announced at the InterNACHI School webpage
. For course approvals from the state, please scroll down this page.
Radon Tester Certification (online & free for members):
Although there are no state regulations for radon testing in Washington, the Washington State Department of Health recommends hiring a professional radon tester (as of October 2014). Visit the Washington website for details
Free Real Estate Cards (free for members):
Licensed real estate agents can attain free Continuing Education credits by following the directions on the real estate cards. Members can hand out these cards to real estate agents, which explain how to log into the free courses.
When an agent logs into a course and enters the member's ID number, the member is automatically emailed. The first slide of the course is the member's contact information.
Tell them to visit nachi.org/wa-agent
and register for the free online Continuing Education course. The course promotes the value of hiring an InterNACHI Home Energy Inspector
. When a real estate professional logs into the course and enters the InterNACHI member's ID number, the member will be automatically notified by email.
Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Education:
Home Energy Inspector Certification (online & free for members):
Become a Certified Home Energy Inspector™. The online training and certification is free for members. No infrared, no blower door, and no additional training needed. Visit nachi.org/home-energy-inspector
Home Energy Score Assessor (online & free for members):
The Home Energy Score is similar to a vehicle's miles-per-gallon rating, and any qualified inspector in the U.S. can generate a Home Energy Score in less than an hour. The Home Energy Score provides:
- a score on a scale of 1 to 10;
- facts about the home and its energy use; and
- recommendations generated by the U.S. Department of Energy to improve the score and energy efficiency.
To become a Home Energy Score Assessor, you must:
- be an InterNACHI-Certified Home Energy Inspector (online & free for members);
- complete the 3D-house training (online & free for members);
- agree to participate in a Quality Assurance Plan with other local Home Energy Inspector (free for members); and
- email Michelle to participate in the program.
The Roof Data Technician Program, developed by InterNACHI
and Owens Corning
, provides an additional revenue stream for InterNACHI members who are hired by Owens Corning as part of a roof warranty claim resolution process. (This program is operational in the United States only.) To participate in the program, visit nachi.org/roof
Business & Marketing (online & free for members):
Homeowner Newsletter (online & free for members):
Order handout cards
Keep in touch with all of your clients! The InterNACHI Homeowner Newsletter is:
- free to members;
- customized by you according to condition of each house inspected;
- has 5 years worth of monthly issues;
- includes your photo and logo in each issue.
to sign homeowners up for your Homeowner Newsletter (a customizable, monthly newsletter system that is free to members). Order your cards at http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/homeowner-newsletter-handout.aspx
Everything You Need, All in One Place:
Membership Benefits (free for members):
View approval of How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course. Course #384. 4 hours. Expiration 07/08/2018.