How to Become a Licensed Home Inspector in New Jersey
Licensing Training and State Exam:
To become a licensed home inspector in New Jersey, you must provide proof of:
- passing the state home inspector exam;
- completing an approved 180-hour home inspection training course; or
- 250 home inspections by submitting a list of 250 supervised home inspections to the NJ Committee.
To prepare for the state exam, you can take InterNACHI's Online Home Inspector Exam
(free), take the InterNACHI State Exam Prep Course
(free to members), and take InterNACHI's online courses
(free to members). Not a member? Join now.
After joining as a member, you'll have access to everything you need
to be successful, including all of InterNACHI's online training,
certifications, Continuing Education, marketing, and business services. InterNACHI has everything you need, all in one place.
Continuing Education (online & free for members):
The New Jersey Home Inspection Advisory Committee approves InterNACHI's online courses listed below for Continuing Competency for Home
InterNACHI's online courses are free to members. Not a member? Join now.
- How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, & Chimneys Course (4 hours)
- Residential Structural Design for Home Inspectors Course (19 hours)
- Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course (28 hours)
- Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection (12 hours)
- Structural Issues for Home Inspectors (4 hours)
- Safe Practices for the Home Inspector (4 hours)
- Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors (8 hours)
- Inspecting Foundation Walls and Piers (3 hours)
- How to Perform Roof Inspections (4 hours)
- How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections (4 hours)
- How to Perform Deck Inspections (3 hours)
- How to Perform Exterior Inspections (16 hours)
- How to Inspect HVAC Systems (12 hours)
- How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion (8 hours)
- How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior (14 hours)
- 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know (5 hours)
Radon Tester Certification in New Jersey (online & free for members):
Home Energy Inspector™ Certification (online & free for members):
Home Energy Score Assessor (online & free for members):
Home Energy Score is similar to a vehicle's miles-per-gallon rating,
and any qualified inspector in the U.S. can generate a Home Energy Score
than an hour. The Home Energy Score provides:
- a score on a scale of 1 to 10;
- facts about the home and its energy use; and
- recommendations generated by the U.S. Department of Energy to improve the score and energy efficiency.
Business & Marketing (online & free for members):
Homeowner Newsletter (online & free for members):
Order handout cards
Keep in touch with all of your clients! The InterNACHI Homeowner Newsletter is:
- free to members;
- customized by you according to condition of each house inspected;
- has 5 years worth of monthly issues;
- includes your photo and logo in each issue.
to sign homeowners up for your Homeowner
Newsletter (a customizable, monthly newsletter system that is free to members). Order your homeowner newsletter cards from InspectorOutlet.
Membership Benefits (free for members):