How to Become a Home Inspector in Kentucky
Home Inspector Licensing:
To become a licensed home inspector in Kentucky, you must:
- complete an approved pre-licensing class;
- pass a state exam; and
- follow a Standards of Practice.
For licensing details, visit the Kentucky website
Obtain training near you with instructor Mark Beauchamp. Get a free 6-month membership to InterNACHI when you sign up (available to new members only). Click here
for more information.
Home Inspector State Exam:
Continuing Education (online & free for members):
Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors approves InterNACHI's free, online Continuing Education online courses for fulfilling the Continuing Education requirements (technical courses, including identification and determination).
Each licensee who renews a license in an odd year shall have at least 14 hours of CE, each licensee who renews in an even year shall have at least 28 hours of CE during the biennial period.
(3) Prior to renewal, the continuing education shall include a minimum of:
- Three (3) hours in manufactured housing (face-to-face);
- Three (3) hours in KRS Chapter 198B and 815 KAR Chapter 6 (face-to-face);
- Three (3) hours in report writing (face-to-face); and
- Five (5) hours in technical courses, including identification and determination, as applicable within the standards of practice (NOT face-to-face; free & online for members).
(4) (a) The continuing education courses identified in subsection (3)(a) through (c) of this section shall be completed face-to-face. An online continuing education course shall not satisfy the continuing education requirement for each respective category. (b) The face-to-face requirement identified for the continuing education courses shall be effective beginning the next renewal period following the effective date of this administrative regulation (Sep 4, 2015).
The following online courses (free & online to members) are approved by Kentucky for fulfilling the 5 hours of technical courses:
- Energy Movement for Inspectors Course. CE-0812-010. 2 hours. Expiration July 12, 2018.
- How to Perform Exterior Inspections Course. CE-0514-005. 6 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- Inspecting Foundation Walls and Piers Course. CE-0514-004. 3 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- Structural Issues for Home Inspectors Course. CE-0514-003. 4 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- Safe Practices for the Home Inspector Course. CE-0514-002. 2 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- How to Inspect HVAC Systems Course. CE-0514-001. 6 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes Course. CE-1013-014. 3 hours. Expiration April 10, 2018.
- How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course. CE-0216-001. 3 hours. Expiration Feb 9, 2018.
- How to Perform Deck Inspections Course. CE-0216-002. 3 hours. Expiration Feb 9, 2018.
- How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course. CE-0216-003. 3 hours. Expiration Feb 9, 2018.
- How to Perform Roof Inspections Course. CE-0216-004. 3 hours. Expiration Feb 9, 2018.
- 25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course. CE-0216-005. 3 hours. Expiration Feb 9, 2018.
- Inspecting the Means of Egress (for 1 hour. CE-0315-001) Expiration Jan 10, 2019.
- Calculating Envelope Energy Loss (for 2 hours. CE-0315-002)
- Residential Structural Design for Home Inspector (for 6 hours. CE-0215-001) Expiration Dec 13, 2018.
- How to Inspector Fireplaces, Stoves, & Chimneys (for 2 hours, CE-0215-002) Expiration Dec 13, 2018.
- House as a System (for 2 hours. CE-812-011)
- How to Inspect Pools and Spas (for 8 hours. CE-0214-005)
- How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections (for 4 hours. CE-0514-006)
- Log Home Inspection (for 4 hours. CE-0514-008)
- Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors (for 6 hours. CE-0514-007)
The following live classes are approved for Continuing Education. All live classes are held at The InterNACHI School
Radon Tester Certification in Kentucky (online & free for members):
Enlarge letter from Kentucky
. According to the Kentucky regulations (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/902/095/040.htm
), a person shall be eligible to be certified as a radon measurement contractor or a radon mitigation contractor if the individual submits to the state:
- An application;
- Verification of completion of an AARST-NRPP or NRSB course and exam;
- Fees; and
- A quality assurance plan.
Home Energy Inspector™ Certification (online & free for members):
Home Energy Score Assessor (online & free for members):
The Home Energy Score is similar to a vehicle's miles-per-gallon rating, and any qualified inspector in the U.S. can generate a Home Energy Score in less than an hour. The Home Energy Score provides:
- a score on a scale of 1 to 10;
- facts about the home and its energy use; and
- recommendations generated by the U.S. Department of Energy to improve the score and energy efficiency.
Wood Destroying Organisms (online and free for members):
According to KRS 217B.515 Structural pest control licenses.
Every person shall secure a license from the department before engaging in structural pest control in Kentucky.
“Structural pest control” shall mean: the control of termites or pests, including the identification of infestations or infections; the making of inspections, inspection reports, recommendations; offering advice regarding control methods
Business & Marketing (online & free for members):
Homeowner Newsletter (online & free for members):
Order handout cards
Keep in touch with all of your clients! The InterNACHI Homeowner Newsletter is:
- free to members;
- customized by you according to condition of each house inspected;
- has 5 years worth of monthly issues;
- includes your photo and logo in each issue.
to sign homeowners up for your Homeowner Newsletter (a customizable, monthly newsletter system that is free to members). Order your homeowner newsletter cards from InspectorOutlet.
Membership Benefits (free for members):
Archived Approval Letters: